Careers - Editorial Designer and Illustrator
About Rebel Girls
Rebel Girls is a global, multi-platform edutainment brand, dedicated to inspiring and instilling confidence in a generation of girls around the world.
We started from a 2016 international best-selling children’s book, featuring real-life, extraordinary women throughout history, geography, and field of excellence, focusing on creators, innovators, leaders, and champions. In addition to our bestselling book series, we create an award-winning, chart-topping podcast, brought to life by the voices of phenomenal current-day women. Rebel Girls also offers virtual experiences and toys, and we are expanding our reach to television, live theater, and a digital app.
Our community of self-identified Rebel Girls spans more than 100 countries, with 6 million books sold in 51 languages and 11 million podcast downloads. We're growing quickly and looking for Rebels to join the team!
Position: Editorial Designer and Illustrator
Location: Los Angeles / San Francisco
As an experienced Editorial Designer at Rebel Girls, you will be responsible for creating outstanding graphics assets such as book covers and interior layouts, hand-lettering, icons, marketing materials and illustrations.
You will work closely with the Art Director and the Editorial Team to plan and deliver editorial and visual content, on strategic creative projects.
You must have a strong passion for children’s books and a creative talent to translate our vision into exceptional designs ensuring high quality and consistency across all materials.
Skills and Experience Requirements
- A minimum of 5 years experience in editorial design, preferably in children's book publishing
- Strong visual design, illustration and hand-lettering skills
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Google Workspace
- Deep knowledge of the principles of design such as alignment, grid layout, typography, hierarchy and balance
- Knowledge in printing processes
- Experience in digital design (social media, website banner, app interfaces)
- Ability to work in a team of creative individuals to accomplish a shared vision
- Strong management skills, ability to prioritize and good organization
- Creative, innovative, and strategic thinker with a keen eye for aesthetics and details
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines
- Motion graphic or animation skills are a plus
- Bachelors degree in Fine Arts or related field is a plus
Your Responsibilities Will Include
- Design and manage all stages of the projects assigned, from the idea to realization
- Work closely with the production team finalizing the files for printing
- Work closely with the editorial team to develop new books or any other products assigned, make reprint changes and text corrections
- Assist with maintaining our social media platforms with fresh new content
- Participate in the development of social media strategies or any other digital campaigns
- Creating exceptional presentations in Google Slide and InDesign
- Design marketing assets for different platforms
- Illustrate and design any assets required following established brand guidelines
- Brainstorm ideas and create moodboards to build beautiful and high concept products
- Develop visuals based on direction from senior leaders
- Study design briefs and take feedback from the Art Director, Product Managers, and other team members and revise designs accordingly
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, Vision plans for you and your dependents
- 401K program with Company matching
- Vacation, sick and holiday leave
- Flexible remote work offered (post COVID environment, up to 40% remote)
- Equity in a fast growing, mission-driven organization
- Wellness stipend, fertility stipend, team yoga classes
To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com