Careers - Senior Editor, IP
About Our Company
Rebel Girls is the preeminent, girl-driven edutainment company on a mission to empower a generation of girls to pursue their dreams without limits. Our flagship book series Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls features 300 extraordinary women throughout history, geography and field of excellence. We tell their stories as biographical fairy tales accompanied by diverse illustrations from 70+ women artists from around the world. To date we have sold 5.5 million copies in 49 languages across 85 countries.
In addition to our books, we have written and produced three seasons of our Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls Podcast. Currently, we have 7+ million downloads, won numerous awards (including the People’s Choice Award, Gold in the New York Radio Festival, and the 2020 Webby for best Kids and Family). Our narrators include the likes of Melinda Gates, Gayle King, Lindsey Vonn, Pearl Thusi, and Justina Machado.
In four years, we've been able to reach 10+ million girls with our books and our podcast, and our goal is to inspire and instill confidence in 50 million girls over the next 5 years. To do this we are expanding our storytelling via video, digital, and theatrical, as well as bringing a merchandise line to the world that is free from forced stereotypes, to give young girls a set of diverse, real life heroines for inspiration. We’re growing our team and are looking for Rebels to join us!
Position: Senior Editor, IP
Location: San Francisco or Los Angeles, CA
Editorial at Rebel Girls
The Editorial team is critical at Rebel Girls in researching, conceptualizing, and creating all IP. The team is responsible for developing new titles, managing existing titles, identifying trends, managing the editorial calendar across the organization, and developing relationships with talent (writers and designers). The team also plays a prominent role in cross-functional collaborations and partnerships with Product, Design, Sales, and Marketing.
About the Job
Rebel Girls Editorial Department is seeking an energetic and creative senior editor to develop our next Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls volumes, in addition to chapter books, guidebooks, and ancillary printed products for our Rebel Girls franchise. This position will manage all aspects of the editorial process for a variety of printed products (books, calendars, board games, puzzles, journals, and more) based on Rebel Girls stories and characters targeting a 5-10 year old audience. The senior editor must have a background in IP development and wide general knowledge about the latest trends in children’s publishing. Must also have a background in editing fiction and non-fiction children’s literature, ideally tied to major brands or licenses. This position will report to the Chief Creative Officer.
- Manage editorial schedules and approval processes
- Hire and work closely with writers
- Liaise with departments such as production, design, marketing, merchandise, and all other Rebel Girls divisions throughout the book process
- Devise creative book formats and concepts based on, or as extension of existing franchise (digital and print)
- Edit manuscripts, review sketches/final art, mechanicals, and proofs
- Write copy for book covers, title information sheets, ONIX, seasonal catalogs
- Manage one Editorial Assistant
- Organize all editorial files of current products in collaboration with Project Manager
- Lead monthly IP development meetings or strategic updates on industry status and trends
- Prepare IP proposals; and make offers to authors, agents, and packagers
- Assist with establishing short- and long-range departmental goals, policies, and operating procedures
Skills and Experience Required
- 5+ years editorial experience in IP development and/or children’s publishing
- Passion for female empowerment is essential
- Understanding of licensing and publishing trends
- Deep network of agents and writers a plus
- Strong project management skills
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, Vision plans for you and your dependents
- 401K program with Company matching
- Vacation, sick and holiday leave
- Flexible remote work offered (post COVID environment, up to 40% remote)
- Equity in a fast growing, mission-driven organization
- Biweekly wellness session
To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org