Careers - Senior Accountant
ABOUT REBEL GIRLS:
Rebel Girls is the preeminent, girl-driven edutainment company on a mission to empower a generation of girls to pursue their dreams without limits. Our flagship book series Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls features 300 extraordinary women throughout history, geography and field of excellence. We tell their stories as biographical fairy tales accompanied by diverse illustrations from 70+ women artists from around the world. To date we have sold 5.5 million copies in 49 languages across 85 countries.
In addition to our books, we have written and produced three seasons of our Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls Podcast. Currently, we have 7+ million downloads, won numerous awards (including the People’s Choice Award, Gold in the New York Radio Festival, and the 2020 Webby for best Kids and Family). Our narrators include the likes of Melinda Gates, Gayle King, Lindsey Vonn, Pearl Thusi, and Justina Machado.
In four years, we've been able to reach 10+ million girls with our books and our podcast, and our goal is to inspire and instill confidence in 50 million girls over the next 5 years. To do this we are expanding our storytelling via video, digital, and theatrical, as well as bringing a merchandise line to the world that is free from forced stereotypes, to give young girls a set of diverse, real life heroines for inspiration. We’re growing our team and are looking for Rebels to join us!
ABOUT THE JOB:
Rebel Girls is seeking an experienced accountant to join the Finance Team. This individual will perform all Accounting and Treasury functions. We are looking for a candidate who has strong knowledge of US GAAP and is a hands-on doer willing to roll up their sleeves. Reporting to the Head of Finance, you will be a foundational member of the accounting team focusing on the Company’s operational accounting processes and month-end close. This role will allow you to expand your already broad technical accounting skill set to help manage the day-to-day accounting operations of a quickly growing entertainment and consumer goods company.
Ideally, you’ve got 3 - 5 years of experience with increasing responsibility in accounting. Previous experience in Public Accounting and/or a consumer goods or entertainment company (operating with multi-country/currency/legal entity environments) is a plus. You should be incredibly organized, process-oriented, and comfortable prioritizing multiple work streams across daily responsibilities and long-term projects.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Establish the accounting operations and financial reporting function in partnership with the Head of Finance
- Effectively maintain the general ledger, oversee accounts payable and accounts receivable, prepare balance sheet reconciliations and supporting schedules, and review and consolidate international entities (UK)
- Assist with the preparation of consolidated GAAP financial statements, including document preparation, data analysis, integrity validation and reconciliation processes
- Control all activities and systems involving management of cash resources, for US HQ, and international subsidiaries
- Support the design and implementation of informative financial results reports to meet the needs of the business, assist on projects and ad hoc assignments as needed
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Advise on the design and implementation of effective accounting policies, procedures and internal controls
- Provide expertise on the treatment of accounting transactions and related financial reporting requirements
- Streamline processes for greater accuracy, financial control and efficiency. Identify opportunities for process improvement and automation across all finance areas
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of tax returns by working with our Tax Accountants
- Develop and implement processes to compile information for various federal, state, and local reports
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Drive the execution of year-end financial audits
- Advise on financial systems solutions and requirements for new applications or enhancements
- Actively partner with other business operations and departments to build scalable processes and drive best practices
Key Skills and Requirements of the Ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance-related majors
- Experience with Startup/E-commerce Company or working with licensing and royalties in the entertainment industry is highly desirable
- CPA or Public Accounting experience preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, bonus points for experience using NetSuite and working with integrated systems
- Strong understanding of accounting theory, GAAP, and internal controls
- Strong communication skills–enjoys working with the accounting team as well as cross-functionally–representing the interests of the accounting team with other departments
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, Vision plans for you and your dependents
- 401K program with Company matching
- Vacation, sick and holiday leave
- Flexible remote work offered (post Covid environment, up to 40% remote)
- Equity in a fast growing, mission-driven organization
- Biweekly yoga and breathwork classes