Careers - Head of Finance
About Our Company
Rebel Girls is an educational entertainment company on a mission to empower a generation of girls to pursue their dreams without limits. Our flagship book series Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls features 200 extraordinary women throughout history, geography, and field of excellence. We tell their stories as biographical fairy tales accompanied by diverse illustrations from 60 women artists from around the world. To date, we have sold 5.4 million copies in 49 languages, across 85 countries.
In addition to our books, we have written and produced three seasons of our Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls Podcast. Currently, we have 7+ million downloads and have won numerous awards (including the People’s Choice Award, Gold in the New York Radio Festival, and are currently nominated for a Webby). Our narrators include the likes of Melinda Gates, Priscilla Chan Zuckerberg, and Justina Machado.
In three years, we've been able to reach 10+ million girls with our books and our podcast, and our goal is to inspire and instill confidence in 50 million more! To do this, we are expanding our storytelling via video and digital, as well as bringing a merchandise line to the world that is free from forced stereotypes, to give young girls a set of diverse, real-life heroines for inspiration. We’re growing our team and are looking for Rebels to join us!
Position: Head of Finance
Location: San Francisco, CA
Finance at Rebel Girls
The Finance team is critical at Rebel Girls in providing strategic, analytical, and operational support to the Executive Team and the rest of the company. The team is responsible for managing and reporting on the company’s financial health, setting revenue and financial goals, evaluating strategic opportunities, managing inventory, supporting sales strategy and execution. The team also plays a prominent role in cross-functional collaborations and partnerships with Product, Sales, and Marketing.
About the Job
Rebel Girls is seeking a Director of Finance to build and lead the finance team. Reporting directly to the CEO (Jes Wolfe) in San Francisco, you will oversee accounting, FP&A, and sales operations for a mission-driven startup. You will take the lead role in goal-setting, performance tracking and reporting, budgeting and forecasting, strategic planning, investor relations, competitive analysis, inventory management (including costing), M&A activities, legal process, managing payroll, and other requests as needed. You will hire our first accounting employees, and build the function for Rebel Girls. In addition, you will be partnering heavily with sales leaders to deliver important insights, and help drive sales strategy and execution.
Ideal CandidateIdeally, you must have 8-12 years of experience in financial and general business analysis in a hi-tech or consumer company, and have demonstrated experience in managing teams and collaborating across functions. You must be both a team player and an independent contributor. You should be extremely well-organized and able to facilitate cross-functional collaboration and understanding so that the resulting corporate finance and sales strategies are well-supported across the company; developing sustainable processes is at the core of this role. Given you’ll be a leader within a startup, we want someone who’s enthusiastic about working with colleagues at different levels all across the organization.
Within 3 Months, You'll:
- Hire our first accounting position and kick off the plan to transition the entire finance and accounting function from our outsourced company to 100% in-house
- Produce accurate financial reporting and prepare presentation materials for the Executive Team, Board of Directors, and external investors
- Lead budget planning process by cost center and develop ongoing monthly tracking
- Provide a monthly rolling 13 weeks cash flow forecast update to the Executive team
- Lead quarterly and annual goal setting process including developing financial targets and building sales and marketing compensation plans
- Build and implement benchmark and KPI dashboards for measuring financial and operating performance
- Maintain corporate capitalization table and manage new equity grants process with HR
- Lead the annual 409a valuation process
- Lead the legal process with our external legal firm for custom contract review
- Inform key decisions with financial and operational implications
Within 6 Months, You'll:
- Complete the transition of the entire finance and accounting function from our outsourced company to 100% in-house solution.
- Work with Executive Team to develop multi-year business plans
- Partner closely with sales, marketing, and operations leadership to develop actionable, measurable projects and programs based on well-articulated needs/ gaps
- Evaluate M&A and strategic opportunities and performs scenario analyses
- Perform competitive analysis to understand key market trends and changes
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company's risk profile
Within 12 Months, You'll:
- Recommend and develop financial policies, procedures, and systems to meet company objectives
- Proactively identify process inefficiencies and manage projects to streamline or automate sales processes
- Lead, develop, and in some cases execute all aspects of operations that support and improve the standards and execution for all major functions across the organization
- Lead the annual strategic planning process
- Assist with establishing short- and long-range departmental goals, policies, and operating procedures
Other Characteristics, Skills, and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or business-related majors, MBA preferred
- Proficient in Netsuite, Microsoft Excel
- Ability to see the "big picture" and understand the details behind it, as well as the ability to anticipate the future needs of the business
- Ability to organize, interpret and analyze large volumes of qualitative and quantitative data
- Ability to establish credibility and influence at a senior leadership level, across all disciplines
- Strong understanding of GAAP, and internal controls; CPA or CMA is a strong plus
- Strong communication skills – enjoys working cross-functionally and representing the interests of the finance team with other departments
- Ensure integrity in the financials records, safeguarding of assets and a strong internal control environment
- Committed to core values and ethical business conduct
- A continuous improvement mindset to constructively drive change and transform a function
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, Vision plans for you and your dependents
- 401K program with Company matching
- Vacation, sick and holiday leave
- Flexible remote work offered (post-COVID environment, up to 40% remote)
- Equity in a fast growing, mission-driven organization
- Biweekly yoga and breath-work classes
To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com