Job title: Chief Content Officer
Location: New York
Employment status: Full-time
Rebel Girls, a Certified B Corporation, is a global, multi-platform empowerment brand dedicated to helping raise the most inspired and confident global generation of girls through content, experiences, products, and community.
Originating from an international best-selling children’s book, Rebel Girls amplifies stories of real-life, extraordinary women throughout history, geography, and field of excellence.
With a growing community of more than 23 million self-identified Rebel Girls spanning more than 100 countries, the brand engages with Generation Alpha through its book series, the Rebel Girls app, events, and merchandise. To date, we have sold more than 8.5 million books in 50 languages and reached more than 20 podcast downloads and 10 million music streams.
Our award recognition includes The New York Times bestseller list, 2022 Apple Design Award for Social Impact, multiple Webby Awards for family & kids and education, and Common Sense Media Selection among many others.
THE ROLE AND IMPACT YOU’LL MAKE
As the Chief Content Officer of Rebel Girls, you will be responsible for leading the company’s overall content strategy, vision, and execution.
This includes developing and executing a five year franchise and content plan that best delivers on the company’s goals and mission, and overseeing the creation of all content across all platforms, including publishing, audio, video, entertainment, live theater, owned digital platforms, social media, as well as third party platforms.
You will lead a diverse team of in-house creatives and a large global community of creators from around the world. This job is based in New York.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE
- Develop and execute a five year content and franchise strategy that delivers on the company’s goals and mission. This should include the continuation of the existing non-fiction line of storytelling, as well as expansion into fiction, unscripted, interactive, branded content and other forms of media, education, and entertainment storytelling
- Oversee the creation of all content across all platforms, including publishing, audio, video, entertainment, live theater, owned digital platforms, social media, as well as third party platforms
- Create an organizational structure and hire/supervise leaders in all content verticals; manage and lead an in-house team of content creators, including writers, editors, producers, marketers, and designers
- Oversee strategy, develop, grow, and foster a large community of hundreds of external creators from 50+ countries that contribute to Rebel Girls content
- Oversees all marketing content initiatives, both internal and external, across both owned and third party platforms and multiple formats to drive value to both the business and the audiences served
- Establish standards, systems, best practices, and workflow processes for managing the content lifecycle, including requesting, producing, distributing, promoting, measuring, and retiring content, including ensuring all content is consistent with brand guidelines, and optimized for various user experiences and across all appropriate channels
- Work closely with other departments, including sales, product development, communications, customer service, to ensure content supports overall company goals
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends, drive direct customer research and insights, and adjust content strategy accordingly
YOU WILL BRING TO THE TEAM
- 10+ years of experience in content creation and creative team management
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Experience in a media, entertainment, and/or publishing company
- Experience in children’s media, bonus points for experience creating empowering content for girls
- Strong understanding of omnichannel content creation and delivery across entertainment, publishing, and digital media
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, nimble startup – this job requires flexibility, creative problem solving, and being hands on and directly creating content and /or marketing materials at times!
- A keen interest in storytelling, technology, reaching new audiences and delighting customers
- A robust network in the entertainment industry
- Bonus points for experience and interest in emerging technologies and platforms
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision plans for you and your dependents
- FSA & Dependent Care FSA
- Company-paid life & disability insurance
- Annual Wellness Stipend
- Fertility/Adoption Stipend
- 401k with company matching
- Vacation, sick, and holiday leave
- Equity in a purpose driven company
Rebel Girls requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How to apply
To apply, please send your resume, portfolio and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Chief Content Officer”.